So like anyone, I started with installing new seats... Okay, I know that's an odd starting point, but to be honest the interior had a bit of a funk. I plan to try and drive the truck around for a while just to get a read on vehicle operation and discover any problems.
I stripped out the bench seats, rubber floor mats, and insulation. There was nothing really terrible except along the passenger side dirt had caked in along with sunflower seed shells to create a 1/2" crust of dirt I had to chip out with a screw driver.
I built a frame with 1" square tube welded to the factory bench seat mounts/brackets.
Now I must confess, I am obviously out of practice with fabricating and I made a few errors building the frame. The first mistake I made was to make the frame too narrow. You'll notice in the picture the little pieces of angle iron at the front; those were used to make up the difference. I also used them to put some recline on the seats.
I have sliders for the suspension seats that I mounted to the frame.
The sliders have specific bolts for mounting to the frame. They aren't long enough to extend through the 1" tube. So I drilled larger holes on the bottom to allow access for a socket.
I also feel it makes a cleaner look.
You can see the brackets to bolt the seats to the sliders are nice and tight to the frame:
Here it is bolted in the cab:
This is when I discovered my second fabrication error. I measured the width of the mounting tabs on the seat, but failed to realize the obvious, that the mounting bolts for the sliders are going to be narrower than the seat's tabs. The difference was 1". I added a second piece for each seat that was 1" closer to the outside of the frame. I left the original, incorrectly located, pieces because I may find use for them in mounting other things to the frame.
Once I bolted the seat to the slider it turned out the brackets are too tight to the frame. The problem is that the mounting tabs on the seats stick down past the brackets and hit the frame.
The brackets can be flipped over to raise the seat up.
The problem was this raised the seat too high and my legs were in the steering wheel. I ended up adding a 1/4" thick strap under the sliders to raise them up enough to clear.
I like this best because I think the overall install is cleaner with the brackets flipped down to cover the sliders.
Here are both seats in the cab.
I do feel a bit ridiculous climbing in out of the suspension seat in a stock 2wd truck. I do think I'm going to end up getting a daily driver seat for the driver like what we have for the passenger. It is much easier to get in and out of and still provides sufficient support.
Next I'm going to work on mounting the rear seats.