R.I.P. Project Torque 2008
Project Torque had to be sold in 2008.
Project Torque is a 1973 GMC Jimmy. I choose a 73 because it is a full convertible truck, and also it is smog exempt here in California. I bought it with the purpose of building a big engine off road truck that I could still drive to the beach during the summer.
I began disassembling it shortly after I bought it. I also bought a 1976 Cadillac on eBay for $455. I took the engine from the Cadillac had it cleaned up by a machine shop. I then rebuilt it using some mild performance parts. Had I known then what I know now, I would have used higher performance parts. Unfortunately, I didn’t tighten a rod bolt correctly, which required a complete rebuild. This time I had the help of my Dad and Brother.
Beginning in June of 2004, I began the project. Through out the entire build, my friend Devin was practically working on it as much as I was. I wouldn’t have had it done when I did if it wasn’t for him.
Some people ask me if it will ever be done. My response to that is, no. It is truly a never ending project.
- 1976 Cadillac 500ci Bored .060 over. Now 514 Cubic Inches 8.3 Liters. Fully Balanced.
- Pistons – 4.364 inch 8.5:1 Keith black hypereutectic flat top pistons
- Crank – Stock .020 grind 4.3 stroke
- Heads – Stock 120cc with three angle valve job. Street/Strip valve springs
- Timing chain – Stock
- Cam – Duration @ .050 range 220-228 Valve lift range .525″-.538″ Estimated power – 350 HP 525 TQ
- Transmission – TH400 (2.48, 1.48, 1.0). Out of a 1984 K30. Fresh rebuild & Shift Kit. New TCI 13â€ Torque Converter
- Transfer Case 1 – NP203 (2.01 low, 1.0 high) Out of a 1973 GMC Jimmy
- Transfer Case 2 – NP205 (1.96 low, 1.0 high) Out of a 1984 1 Ton Chevy
- Suspension Front – 4 inch Tuff country EZ ride springs from Off Road Design , Zero rate
- Suspension Rear – Off Road Design shackle flip and stock springs, Zero rate
- Body lift – 1 inch aluminum pucks
- Axle Front – Dana 60 (Out of a 1984 1 Ton Chevy) with 5.13 gears and Powertrax locker
- Axle Rear – 14FF (Out of a 1984 1 Ton Chevy) with 5.13 gears, Powertrax locker and 1976 Cadddy Eldorado Calipers
- Tires – 37 inch tall 12.5 inch wide Interco SSR Series Super Swamper Radial / TSL
- Rims – 5 Custom StazWorks Bead locks 16.5 x 9.75 on 4 1/2 inch back spacing
- Electric Fans – Dual fans from a 1998 Windstar
- Front Shock Mounts – 2002 f250 Super Duty shock mounts
- Rear Shock Mounts – Custom inboard shock mount
- Batteries – Optima yellow top
- Drive Shafts – Highangledrivelines
Custom dash – Not done yet
- Paint Job – Home Depot Special
- Wiring – Painless Harness
- Steering wheel – Grant
Complete Build (11:52)
6 Burn-Outs (1:51)
Racing Some Friends (1:13)
Offroading at Cooks Corner (5:12)
OCX Offroad Park, Irvine, Ca (1:32)
Spray Painting It (1:24)
Drenching My Friend Andrew (1:16)
Fixing My Rear Locker (3:53)
Off-Roading Silverado Canyon (3:48)
Breaking My 14FF Yolk (0:10)